On the Cloud
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
About Context reflux
Thursday, August 5, 2010
Clouds Clouds Clouds
This post is about a glimpse of various cloud technologies with the features and a bit about pricing.
1. Amazon Cloud
|2||Content delivery||Cloud front|
|3||Data storage||Simple DB|
Relation database service
|5||Messaging||Simple Queuing Service (SQS)|
Simple Notification Service
|6||Networking||Virtual Private Cloud|
Elastic Load balancing
|7||Payments and billing||Flexible Payment Service|
|8||Storage||Simple Storage Service|
Elastic Block Storage
No minimum Fees.
Pricing is based on the type of service used. Billing is done in the terms of usage per hour, data in/out.
Reserved instances carry a one time fee.
Pricing is different based on the base OS(windows machines carry higher charges)
Pricing differs region to region
2. Windows Azure Platform
|2||Data Storage||SQL Azure|
Option of various packages depending upon the requirement (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/offers/)
3.Salesforce Force.com Platform
Provides a platform as a service.
|3||UI||Visualforce/ Point an click UI creation|
Pricing is based on the edition of the salesforce. Cost is per month per edition
4. Google App Engine
Platform allows development of application on Python or Java. A hosted server is provided where th applications can be deployed. A free developer version is also available
|1||Datastorage||Big table (Provides Some JPA Features)|
|3||UI||J2EE options (JSP , Freemarker etc)|
Pricing is based on number of users. 8$ per user up to 1000$ max.
Heroku is a ruby on rails based cloud.
|1||DataStorage||many DB supported|
|2||Coding||Ruby on Rails|
Pricing is based on following parameters (http://heroku.com/pricing):
Dynos (Http backend queue)
Workers (Background processes)
6. Wolf Frameworks
Provides a point and click for the UI creation.
Programming is based on C# and .Net environment. For database support there is a choice of MySQL and SQLServer.
Pricing (http://www.wolfframeworks.com/pricing.asp) is based on different packs like starter, standard, professional etc. Each pack has a limit on users, data storage, application , support etc.
Friday, June 25, 2010
What is cloud computing
Ok , lets see the definition of cloud computing .
Many points of vital importance are present in this definition which are explained below.
1. Model of computing : Cloud computing is diffrent from existing models of computing like mainframes and client server paradigms.
2. Infrastructure , software resources and data ; these three things are the building blocks of any software application.
- Infrastructure is the hardware required to host or run the application.
- Software resources are the building blocks of an application and constitute things like web servers , application installers , database etc.
- Data is well ..data. Anything of importance fed by user or computed by system .
3. Outside. This is the most important part of the definition. Outside implies the people using or developing the application are not responsible for the maintaince , upkeep of the key ingredients (Infrastructure , software resource and data). This is taken care by the people who are expert in this job. We just hire these key ingredients from them for a reasonable price.
Some where on internet I read that a proper anecdote to explain the cloud computing would be : "If you need milk , you dont need to buy the cow. You can buy milk from a store"
the cow here represents the three ingredients while the milk represents the application which we require.
So far so good.